Ask Lorraine – My tenant has vacated the property and left a single bed, a washing machine, a bicycle and a wardrobe full of mens clothes. I have tried to contact her but her phone number appears to have been disconnected!
Is the law on my side, can I dispose of everything at the local tip?
Lorraines Answer – There are many scenarios :-
- A tenant has left furniture or personal items.
- A vehicle has been abandoned on your property.
- Students have moved out of your property and items have been left behind and you aren’t sure who they belong to.
Should items be left on your land or in your property you cannot simply remove them unless you have given the owner reasonable notice of your intention to remove and dispose of the goods. It may seem ridiculous, however, this also includes trespassers leaving items.
Make a list/inventory with lots of photographs of any items which have been left. Make contact with the person/s concerned providing the information below. If you are unable to contact them, you should make a couple of signs with the following information:
- Your name and contact details
- A list of the items
- Any fees you intend to charge for storage upon collection of the goods
- A reasonable timescale for collection, 14 days is the norm.
- Where the items will be sold if this is your intention, and any storage cost incurred that will need to be repaid
Post the sign on the inside of a ground floor front window so that it can be seen and post the other sign on the rear access door (if appropriate) and take photograph evidence of the signs in situ so that if you are asked you can provide evidence you have carried out the steps outlined.
Once the 14 days in either case has passed, you can now sell or dispose of the items.
Retain details – how you have disposed of the items.
Until next time.
⁉️ Why don’t you download your FREE Landlord eGuide ‘How To Avoid Tenants From Hell’ now by clicking the link below and then ‘Get Started’ & ‘Send it Now’
The eGuide will then be messaged to you instantly after a few clicks and your contact details are not needed.