So you want to be a Landlord who is revered by your tenants but are not seen as a pushover, do you?
There are a few tips that I would recommend to hopefully give you an easier life as a landlord.
Communicating with tenants:
- Set out ground rules and stick to them, not letting tenants call you at 11pm – to ask a stupid question.
- Writing is better than phoning but remember to keep copies.
- Try and accommodate the tenants wishes to make contact – messenger, email, text or even Facebook.
- Why not syke them instead of giving out your phone number.
- Ensure your AST covers all bases concerning communicating.
Late rental payments:
- Help tenants set up a standing order or use direct debit – they can’t forget to make payment.
- Diarise rent date and make contact on the same day if it’s not forthcoming.
- Set up a process and stick to it e.g. text day 1 and 2, call day 3 and 4 and final warning day 5 or 6.
- Do not be a soft touch and fall for those tales of woe.
- What is an emergency, your definition is probably not the same as your tenants – So define “emergency” for your tenants.
- Instruct tenants about what to do in an emergency. Do they really need to call you!
- Consider landlord emergency cover.
Dealing with routine maintenance:
- Have a good all round base of trade contacts ensuring they are paid on time and treated fairly.
- Can the tenant sort out the issue easily themselves without calling you out – e.g. unblock the sink or clean the washing machine filter.
- Explain clearly the difference between condensation and damp, let the tenant know their responsibilities to both.
- Carry out regular internal and external inspections and look for early signs of repairs, often cheaper than letting things go.
- Test smoke/carbon monoxide alarms.
- Look for any signs of condensation.
- Visually inspect electrics.
- Looks for signs of sub letting.
- Look for early signs of repairs that may be required.
- Be proactive and not reactive.
- Work smart and not hard.
“People who work hard and people who work smart have different measures of success.” Jacob Morgan
If you enjoyed reading my article, feel free to take a look my other online resources below:
Hall and Thompson Estate Agents Tamworth Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF9OUR3g6E8HywCx7tU4DA
Follow The Buy-To-Let Property Investment Market in Tamworth https://www.tamworthpropertyblog.co.uk
Lorraine’s Tamworth Property Market LinkedIn Page https://www.linkedin.com/in/lorrainethompson2/
Hall and Thompson Estate Agents Tamworth Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Hallandthompsonestateagents/
Tamworth Hall and Thompson Estate Agents Twitter Page https://twitter.com/hallandthompson